Have you ever had that moment of realization, that instant of clarity, when you feel as though your life is meant for more? We play, we learn, we work, and all of it is for our own comfort.
We are naturally self-centered to the highest degree — we are survivalists. One look at Maslow’s hierarchy of needs (yes, I’m one of those people who throws it around all the time) shows us that survival does not equal happiness/self-actualization.
What if there is something more than you can do?
What if there is a larger difference you can make?
What if there is a way you can change the world?
The trick to changing the world is realizing that you don’t have to change it all at once: you can improve it bit by bit. You can make things better one step at a time, for one person at a time. You don’t have to change the whole world, just someone’s world. Here are 50 ways you can do just that:
- See the world as your wish it to be
- Always stop to help
- Volunteer at a children’s hospital
- Found a nonprofit
- Participate in Random Acts of Kindness
- Be a part of something you believe in
- Earn money for your charity of choice by using GoodSearch
- Love everyone (submitted by Delft)
- Create happy endings whenever possible
- Adopt an animal
- Donate your old clothes to Goodwill
- Let people know how much they mean to you
- Give money to the poor
- Be polite
- Seek to understand rather than judge or oppose
- Invest in your passions and follow your dreams
- Do the above for others
- Support independent artists and musicians
- Pick up trash
- Volunteer at a suicide hotline center
- Acknowledge other’s accomplishments
- Spend time with the elderly
- Make a micro-loan through Kiva
- Teach a child (submitted by Karin Hurt)
- Accept people the way they are
- Be happy
- Spread good news
- Be a patient/courteous driver
- Smile at everyone
- Be a mentor
- Adopt a Soldier
- Donate old books to a school library
- Walk or bike as much as possible
- Quit smoking (or help someone else quit smoking)
- Spend a few minutes at Free Rice
- Start a Cause
- Respect everyone
- Donate blood
- Save a life
- Avoid greed, anger, and ignorance
- Take Social Actions
- Thank everyone who does something nice for you
- Forgive those who hurt you
- Set a positive example (submitted by Alex Jones)
- Join a community service organization
- Donate your hair to Locks of Love
- Do whatever you can to make other people’s lives easier
- Finally, change your vocabulary. If we never use the words “hate” or “can’t” or “won’t” then we cannot use them as an alternative for love.
These are just a few ways that I can think of to change the world, but what do I know? Everyone has different interests, passions, abilities, and ideas.
So tell me YOUR favorite way to change the world and I will add it to the list (with a link to your blog as well). Maybe you don’t know of any ways to change the world? Then come back and see if someone has added something that interests you.
Anyone can change the world. You just have to figure out how.
See my original post here.